Not only is your diet important for maintaining a healthy body and getting you the nutrients you need, but it is also important for your oral health. Did you know that your diet may be what is harming your oral hygiene? Consider the following:
– Products that are naturally highly acidic are capable of eroding the tooth enamel and should be limited or removed from your diet.
– Use discretion when biting into any foods or substances that may seem tough or hard, as they are more than capable of breaking teeth.
– Sugary foods and foods high in carbohydrates are perilous for your health and your mouth. Avoid sugary sweets and treats, as they can be transformed into harmful acids in your mouth that cause dental erosion.
– Sticky and chewy foods are highly dangerous to your oral health because they cling to your teeth and gums long after mealtime. The longer substances are in contact with your mouth and gums, the longer tooth decay and gum disease can occur.
– Avoid eating acidic products as snacks, but instead, add them to larger meals to help neutralize the acids.
If you would like to schedule an appointment with Dr. Jacob Avner to see if you are a candidate for additional care, please call our dentist office in Rego Park, New York at 718-275-7300 . Dr. Jacob Avner and the rest of our team look forward to improving your smile for many years to come!