Bruxism, also known as teeth grinding, has many warning signs if it is damaging your teeth. Unfortunately, many people do not realize they suffer from bruxism until their teeth become damaged and need to be repaired. Luckily, there are warning signs you can consider and watch for to see if this condition is creating havoc on your oral health and damaging to your teeth.
Our dentist, Dr. Jacob Avner with Great Smiles of NY in Rego Park, New York, is trained to help you treat bruxism, which is why we have provided you with some basic signs and symptoms of this condition.
Here are some signs and symptoms of bruxism:
- If you’ve ever suffered from dental damage throughout the night and have no idea how it happened, it could be the result of bruxism. Bruxism could occur when you wake up and notice teeth have been fractured.
- If you have any signs that your tooth enamel appears to be wearing down or looks like your teeth are looking flatter than usual, it could be the result of bruxism.
- Damage to the inner coatings of your mouth is possible with bruxism. Cheek tissue damage due to excessive chewing on the tissues in your mouth as well as markings and invitations from biting on your tongue at both common symptoms of bruxism.
- Visual indications of bruxism often show themselves as damage to your teeth and gums.
- If you notice any extreme pains or tooth sensitivity when you wake up, whether it be jaw or face pain or a tightening in the muscles in your mouth, you may be suffering from bruxism while you sleep.
If you see any of these conditions, be sure to notify a member of our team to make an appointment. Bruxism can damage your teeth and can be treated in a number of ways. One common way is through the use of a night guard to protect your teeth while you sleep. So, call us today at 718-275-7300 to make an appointment. Our dental team is happy to help you and protect your oral health.