Long term hazards to our oral health are often what we think of in regards to caring for our teeth and gums, but we are often at high risk for instant oral catastrophes too. Breaking your tooth on a candy bar is every bit as devastating as losing your teeth over time to tooth decay. An oral accident or injury can strike at any time. Listed below are five everyday hazards that can harm your teeth.
– Giant pieces of hard candy or foodstuffs can loosen your teeth. Avoid risks with all hard food products.
– Smoking or chewing tobacco can stain your teeth, greatly elevate your risk for gum disease, and promote tooth decay.
– Although chewing on ice may seem safe and healthy as it is only frozen water, the reality is that you can easily chip or crack your teeth biting into ice cubes.
– Try to avoid sugary drinks and foods. Bacteria can build up on your teeth in a layer called plaque, which can change the sugars from foods and drinks into harmful acids that can eat through tooth enamel and cause cavities.
– Never use your teeth to open soda cans or bottles. Doing so can harm your teeth very easily.
If you need a professional cleaning, schedule an appointment with Dr. Jacob Avner, our dentist in Rego Park, New York. Our office can be reached at 718-275-7300 . We remain committed to keeping your smile shining for many years to come.